Monday 24 December 2007

Why should I care? I'd rather watch drying paint...

Electronic - The Patience of a Saint



Looking back on my first term at university, I've realised I've fallen into a bad way; not only am I conforming to the stereotype of being a student and falling in love with New Order (a band whose name, in conversation, I had previously followed with vomit noises), but I've befriended a group of people who actively indulge and encourage this filthy, filthy habit...that is to say, it's got to the extent where I now own an Electronic album. For those of you who don't know (or can't tell from the picture), Electronic were a part-time supergroup, comprising Johnny Marr (a man whose name, in conversation, I continue to follow with a Wayne's World-esque "We're not worthy" bow of worship) and Bernard Sumner, writer of some of the most gloriously appalling lyrics in the history recorded sound. Together, they sound...well...much like a Peter Hook-less New Order. The lyrics are better, but aside from the rather wondeful 'Gangsters', and singles 'Getting Away With It' and 'Get The Message', it's pretty pedestrian stuff.

The best track on the album, as with 'Getting Away With It', was co-written by a third love of mine - the almost perfect Pet Shop Boys*. 'The Patience of a Saint' sounds like it could have come from the PSB's most accomplished album, Behaviour, which is a masterclass in elegiac synthpop that few others have matched. The track is an understated beauty, a totally different beast from anything Sumner had previously worked on (aside from maybe 'Your Silent Face' from Power, Corruption & Lies), and more in line with Marr's minor-key miracles from his work with The Smiths. The lyrics seem to sit somewhere between Sumner's and Tennant's, with a certain clumsy but caustic charm that sounds convincing from either of them - "If I drove a faster car, I'd drive it bloody well".

Were it Just Another Song from any of the three parent bands, 'The Patience...' would not be nearly as special, but even 15 years after Electronic was first released, it still remains thrilling to hear three of the most singular talents of the 80's working together on at least one track that goes beyond their previous achievements.

A x

*On certain days, I'd probably go as far as saying they're better than The Smiths, but in some (most) quarters of the world, I'd get lynched for it...

3 comments:

MarkFarley said...

Alex, you know 'World in Motion' (1990) has some of the best lyrics ever written.

I mean,

"They'll always hit you and hurt you
Defend and attack
Theres only one way to beat them
Get round the back"

..is genius!!

Actually, come to think of it... someone said the same thing in a BDSM gay club once... Oh, nevermind.

Anyway, how can you love the Pet Shop Boys and hate New Order?

Surely thats like liking Metallica and hating Slayer.

Alex said...

You're saying this without taking into account the fantastic opening lines to Every Little Counts ("Every second counts when I am with you/I think you are a pig, you should be in a zoo") or the wonderful Slow Jam ("The sea was very rough, it made me feel sick/But I like that kind of stuff - it beats arithmetic"). Compared with those, World In Motion is Byronic.

As I said though, I've learned to love New Order...PSB will always be my favourites though - they just push every right button in my musical book.

Oh, and cheers for the link on Bookseller. Much appreciated :-)

Anonymous said...

Don't be ridiculous, darling. Of course the PSB are better.