Thursday 27 December 2007

I know a thing about lovers - lovers want the moon...

The Go-Betweens - Love Goes On!



16 Lovers Lane
by The Go-Betweens is one of those records that strikes me in a very subtle way; I've had it for about 18 months now, give or take, and while it's not one that I make a point of digging out, or going "I MUST listen to 16 Lovers Lane", it's an album that I find myself playing at least once a month. For the past week, it's become at least once a day. I'm not really sure why, either. The two impeccable songwriters behind the band, Robert Forster and Grant McLennan (RIP) were, like all great songwriting duos, very much a ying and yang. It's embarrassing to admit that I only learnt which was which (in terms of who wrote which songs), but now I can at least say that McLennan is my favourite Go-Be. He was the "pop" one, at least, in comparison with Forster's more angular, miserable tendencies - allegedly, 16 Lovers Lane was recorded as Grant was going through a purple patch with his girlfriend, while Forster was mid-break-up - and it's his songs that have been lodged in my head a little bit more for the last seven days.

'Love Goes On!' is the opening track to the album which was to be the swansong for the band's original line-up, and it remains a striking piece of music; as catchy as the band ever got, there's nothing about it that's obvious in any way. For example, the reason it's one of Forster's favourite Go-Be's songs, is apparently because "There's nine chords in a row, which he doesn't repeat. It's so him." The song sounds like pure, undiluted Australian sunshine which, at their best, The Go-Betweens were capable of writing in their sleep. If you've never heard any Go-Betweens, do yourself a favour and download this song, if only to tide you over until you hit the record shop tomorrow to get 16 Lovers Lane.

No comments: